Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Loss of a Cowboy

With everything else going on in my life at the moment - I received word that my Uncle passed away tonight. He has been battling cancer since he was diagnosed back in Jan of this year. He has been a trooper and have hung in there even after doctors gave up hope. He passed surrounded by his family and was a peace. I am not sure at the moment if I will be able to attend the funeral, but if not - I will be there in spirit.

I was three when my family moved from Georgia to Texas. Shortly after moving there we had a family get together at my grandparents. Being the youngest grandchild at the time - all the aunt and uncles were passing me back and forth between them. When I got to my Uncle Henry (as the story goes) I was star struck. He had on a cowboy hat and boots and to a little child look just like a real cowboy. I guess I asked him if he was a real cowboy because he was wearing a cowboy hat and from that moment on - he has and will always be my Uncle Cowboy (my nickname for him).

He is the second of five children my grandparents had and was a kind and gentle man. I remember many times spending the night at his house and playing with my cousin Kim. He worked for many years and even retired with the Texas Department of Transportation. I thought he was something listening to all the stories of him driving all the big heavy equipment.

Even though he put on a hard exterior - he was very gentle and kind. I remember once he was cutting wood for the winter and as he was cutting up a tree he found a squirrel nest and inside a baby squire. He lovingly built a cage and kept "Rocky" for many years in his backyard. He always had a garden of just about every veggie you could think of. He even had a small fruit orchard of peach and fig trees.

I loved my Uncle Cowboy and I will miss him. I know that his pain is no more and that he is in a better place. He is again perfect and reunited with my grandparents who preceded him. Just a week or so ago - he told my mom that he felt he was going to go any day and if there was anything that she wanted him to tell my grandparents. Even at the end of his life - he was always thinking of others.

So - here's to all the memories of Uncle Cowboy. He has left behind his wife Aunt Scooter a daughter Kim and two wonderful grandchildren, 14 nieces and nephews and a whole lot of lives touched. I shall miss you, but will always cherish my memories of you! Until we meet again - I love you!

1 comment:

Kimberly and Aaron said...

Gosh, I'm so sorry to hear that Ian. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.